STAFF ATTORNEY POSITIONS: A staff attorney with the Department of Public Advocacy is a person who has active membership and good standing in the Kentucky Bar or with another state bar. Staff Attorneys with the Department of Public Advocacy are public defenders who serve clients throughout the Commonwealth.
- Staff Attorney I - Job #: 60870BR
Elizabethtown, Kentucky (Hardin County)
Application Deadline: 4/19/2018
- Staff Attorney I - Job #: 60905BR
Catlettsburg, Kentucky (Boyd County)
Application Deadline: 4/20/2018
LAW CLERK POSITIONS: A law clerk with the Department of Public Advocacy is a person who has graduated from an ABA accredited law school and anticipates taking the July 2017 bar exam in any state. Law Clerks work closely with Public Defenders with the DPA and will assist on a variety of law related activities including: court dockets, research, writing, client communications and preparation for hearings and trial. Current members of any state bar will also be considered for law clerk positions.
- No positions available at this time
No positions available at this time
ALTERNATIVE SENTENCING WORKER POSITIONS:
- No positions available at this time
TO REGISTER TO RECEIVE JOB ANNOUNCEMENT EMAILS FROM THE DPA RECRUITER:
please complete the CANDIDATE SURVEY.
- THIS IS NOT A JOB APPLICATION: This Candidate Survey only provides us with your contact information and job preferences so we may contact you in the future when we post a job which meets your qualifications and job preferences. To apply for a job, go to https://careers.ky.gov
- HOW DOES THIS CANDIDATE SURVEY WORK: The Candidate Survey asks for licensing information and location / job type preferences. Using this information, the Recruiter can filter the candidate list to determine who should receive a job announcement email.
- MAY I UPLOAD MY RESUME: You must upload a resume to this survey. You may upload any other documents you wish such as a cover letter, transcript and/or a writing sample. Please name all uploaded documents in the following manner: Last Name, First Name Type of Document EXAMPLE: Smith, Jane Resume or Brown, John Cover Letter
- WHO RECEIVES THIS SURVEY: This Candidate Survey is intended for individuals who have graduated law school (or will graduate in May 2018) and plan to take the July 2018 bar exam OR licensed attorneys. It doesn’t matter if you plan to take the bar in another state or if you hold an out-of-state license. Kentucky has a Limited Practice License for anyone licensed in another state. This Limited License remains active for 18 months and in that time, you would have to take and pass the Kentucky Bar Exam. NOTE: Only licensed attorneys are eligible for Staff Attorney positions. Recent law school graduates are eligible for Clerk positions.
- JOB LOCATIONS: We do not yet know where the jobs will be located but we currently have a particular need in western Kentucky, so if you have flexibility regarding location, please select as many regions as you feel comfortable when completing this survey. However, if you must stay within a certain region of Kentucky, then please only select that region as a location preference. Post-Trial positions are always located in either Frankfort or LaGrange, Kentucky. Appeals, Adult Post-Conviction, Capital Post-Conviction and Juvenile Post-Disposition are all located in Frankfort. There is an Adult Post-Conviction Branch in LaGrange.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A POSITION WITH THE DPA
In the "Key Word" box, type the desired job category, such as: Attorney, Clerk, Investigator, Alternative Sentencing Work, Legal Secretary
To be considered for an interview, you must create an account with the Personnel Cabinet, complete the online state application and apply to each posted vacancy. All DPA positions are filled according to the Kentucky Personnel Cabinet regulations. DPA encourages you to set up your Personnel Cabinet profile and also to reach out to Patti Heying
so that she can inform you of any open positions that fit your interests and qualifications.
WHY WORK FOR THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC ADVOCACY?
Kentucky DPA has over 350 attorneys aspiring to provide the highest level of legal advocacy to each of our 148,000 clients a year. We are committed to making the Public Defender’s Office the most professional public law firm in Kentucky. The office recruits and hires candidates who are committed to quality ethical representation and improving the criminal justice system. In order to ensure the best quality legal representation for our clients, the Department of Public Advocacy's defense team includes: attorneys; investigators; mitigation specialists, alternative sentencing workers (social workers); administrative professionals and interns from both undergraduate and law school programs. A description of each position can be found by clicking on the position title.
QUESTIONS OR GUIDANCE NEEDED?
Patti Heying is the Department of Public Advocacy Recruiter.
If you are interested in joining the DPA team, please email a cover letter, resume and writing sample (if applying for an attorney or intern position) to: Patti Heying
Patti is always happy to answer questions about the Department of Public Advocacy, job openings and other opportunities in the Department of Public Advocacy.